Awaken the potential inside your
out FPI's focus areas
pdf versions of brochures
and technology offerings
to related sites
Agency of Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) of Japan has developed
and patented a series of novel, fiber-reinforced thermoplastic matrix
Applications of the Opportunity
Glass Mat Thermoplastics and those made with more advanced material
components have uses in many applications including:
- Automotive Industry: Seat frames, battery trays, bumper beams, valve
covers, rocker panels, and under engine covers.
- Aerospace Industry: Stabilizer fins for missiles and other aircraft,
wing ribs & panels, fuselage wall linings, overhead storage compartments,
ducting, fasteners, engine housings, and helicopter fairings.
- Construction Industry: Pipes, concrete rebars, and lightweight
structural and insulating panels.
- Materials Handling: Cargo containers and pallets.
Go to printable
pdf version of this
These compositions can be customized to suit
a range of temperature and environmental conditions. Other properties
- High Strength
- Low Density, hence light weight
- Good insulating porperties
- Good Toughness
- Good Environmental Resistance
- Can be remolded
The ratio of thermoplastic
resin to reinforcing fibers is 55 – 70:45 – 30.
On April 1, 2001, Japan’s National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science
and Technology began operations as the “new” AIST.
The new AIST is a research organization that comprises 15 research
institutes previously under the former Agency of Industrial Science and
Technology in the Ministry of International Trade and Industry and the
Weights and Measures Training Institute.
AIST is Japan's largest public research organization with research
facilities and more than 3,200 employees across Japan.
Current U.S. patents granted that protect the technology include:
- Method for production of material for composite article.
- Matrix of fiber-reinforced thermoplastic resin.
- Mixing ratio of the components varies in the direction of
- Method for production of composite material and composite material
- Thermoplastic resin matrix with surface coated with thermosetting
- Matrix voids filled with thermosetting resin and reinforcing
AIST is seeking to license these technologies and assist
with their commercialization. A number of investment options are currently
Consideration will be provided to a range of financial, strategic, and
commercial investment partnerships.
Certain circumstances will warrant consideration for nominal funding
Michael F Allan
First Principals, Inc.
1768 East 25th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
216-881-8526 - Phone
216-881-8522 - Fax